I did not have much luck with my cherries this year. I have cherries, but not many. This photo of an unripe cherry was the best photograph that I had. The cherries ripened around May 15th, but the cucumber beetles ravaged the approximately 25 Stella cherries that we did have.
We had a very anemic crop of cherries despite one of the coldest winters on record. The cherries that we did get were on the 2 Stella cherry trees. The Black Tartarian did not set any fruit. We did not get any fruit from the Bing because it died last summer, and I have not been able to replace it yet.
All three trees had plentiful blossoms this spring. I don't know why we didn't have more fruit. Perhaps there were not enough chill hours? Maybe, but it was a very cold winter, and I would swear that we had at least 800 chill hours this year. Alternatively, perhaps there weren't enough bees to pollinate the blossoms. I have read numerous articles that the bee population was doubly hit hard by the winter this year - in addition to colony collapse disorder. In fact, my spring garden was almost devoid of bees in the early spring -- particularly when compared to last year.
I am strongly considering replacing the Bing and Black Tartarian with a few, very low chill cherry varieties that are being sold by Raintree Nursery. I'll likely plant them this fall once it cools down in October. The three varieties that I am considering are: Zaiger's Royal Lee which claims to only need 400 chill hours; Zaiger's Minnie Royal which also only needs 400 chill hours; and Lapins which needs only 500 chill hours.